Main home Home Comments
Search answered questions

Back to List

This question was asked by: Mr. Palmer Thambu

Question asked:

I am thinking of constructing an earth dam, i.e. by digging a big pond like hole where water will collect and last after the rains. This is in Mweru area, Igoji, Imenti South District. Do I need the soils tested to determine if the water will hold without seeping away? If so, where can I get these testing services?


It would a good idea to visit your local extension office and discuss the matter. KARI’s irrigation and drainage team can also advise by visiting the site to identify the possible points for the water pan, measure the relevant soil properties and give you the appropriate water harvesting and storage design. The site visit will have to be funded by you. Contact the Coordinator, Irrigation, Drainage and Problem Soils Research Email: