- About Us
- Research Programmes
- Animal Health Research Programme
- Animal Production Research Programme
- Biotechnology Research Programme
- Food Crops Research Programme
- Horticultural and Industrial Crops Research Programme
- Natural Resource Management Research Programme
- Range Management Research Programme
- Regional Adaptive Research Programme
- Socioeconomics and Biometrics Research Programme
- Seed Research Programme
- Other programmes
- Agricultural Research Investment Services
- Information Management and Communication Technology
- Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit
- Technology Packaging and Transfer
- World Bank Supported Programmes
- Research Programmes
- KARI Center Network
- KARI Biotechnology Center
- KARI Embu
- KARI Garissa
- KARI Headquarters
- KARI Kabete
- KARI Kakamega
- KARI Katumani
- KARI Kiboko
- KARI Kibos
- KARI Kisii
- KARI Kitale
- KARI Lanet
- KARI Marsabit
- KARI Molo
- KARI Mtwapa
- KARI Muguga North
- KARI Muguga South
- KARI Muguga TRC
- KARI Mwea
- KARI Naivasha
- KARI Njoro
- KARI Perkerra
- KARI Thika
- KARI Tigoni
Vacancy for Technical Expert in Climate Vulnerability and Adaptation
Wed, 18/08/2010 - 11:43 | by hwanyama
Background to the position
18 Aug 2010 11:40
12 Sep 2010 09:59
Position Title: Technical Expert in Climate Vulnerability and Adaptation, KARI
Background to the position
The Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI), established as one of the premier national agricultural research organization in 1979, is a research and knowledge generation institution. It has 22 main research centres and 14 sub-centres located throughout the country. These centres are strategically placed to cater for different agro-ecological zones and socio-economic systems. Research is undertaken in six areas: Crops; Livestock; Natural Resource Management; Biotechnology and Genetic Resource Management; Socio-Economics and Applied Statistics; and Adaptive Research, Outreach and Partnerships.
Climate change is currently considered to be one of the major threats for countries in the Sub-Saharan Africa, since they have lowest capacity to build resilience against its effects. It is expected that with climate change there will be increased climate variability and frequency of extremes like droughts and floods. These could lead to overall reduction in agriculture productivity and yields, including range land and livestock production, threatening food security and heightening the risk of famine. Understanding trends, vulnerability and dynamism of farmers’ adaptive capacity is critical in developing adaptation strategies and measures that will minimize the negative impacts of climate change and harness any opportunities it presents. Institutional frameworks to support policy creation, adoption and up scaling are required for strengthening adaptive capacity of vulnerable communities and dealing with trade-offs. Moreover, facilitation of knowledge sharing processes on responses to climate change is a priority. With support from the Rockefeller Foundation, through its Regional Headquarters in Nairobi, KARI is implementing a capacity building project aimed at strengthening research and development activities on climate change adaptation. Under this project a post of Technical Expert is available as part of the capacity building.
The purpose of this post is to offer technical support in climate change adaptation research, scientists’ capacity building and implementation of the project. The expert will work closely with KARI’s Coordinator Environmental Research in offering strategic advice on building resilience to climate change through capacity building across the different research programmes in KARI. He/she will provide support in articulation of concepts and on development of common tools and methods in the frame of climate change, risk, vulnerability and adaptation. The expert will also backstop the successful implementation of a competitive grants scheme for research activities to be implemented by the project, and facilitate networking, sharing and managing of information and resource mobilization. He/she will be based at one of the Centres of Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI).
The expert, who will work directly with the Coordinator of Environmental Research in liaison with the Assistant Director Natural Resources Management, will have the following responsibilities:
i) Research strategy development:
- Assist in setting research priorities for climate change adaptation and agriculture in KARI, identifying focal areas for capacity building and research.
- Develop the scope of work and implementation strategy of research on climate change adaptation for the different programmes of KARI.
- Facilitate relevant collaborative policy formulation and communication strategy e.g. through policy briefs, KARI’s Technical Series, workshops etc.
- Enhance sharing of research findings within KARI and across regional community of practice.
ii) Support for climate change adaptation research activities:
- Help to establish Competitive Grant Scheme to fund Climate Change Adaptation research, including criteria for funding selection and M&E follow-up.
- Assist in refining/improving of short listed proposals for enhanced quality and enhanced effectiveness of the methodology and efficient use of the funds.
- Identify and share information on potential sources of funding on climate change.
- Fundraise on behalf of KARI’s Climate Change Initiatives
iii) Capacity development at KARI:
- Assist in developing capacity of the scientists in interdisciplinary writing of successful research grants and scientific publication
- Transfer of relevant research skills, particularly on vulnerability and risk assessment, participatory development of adaptation measures, information and knowledge management and preferably social systems and climate change modelling.
- The applicant should have a PhD with 2 years working experience, or an MSc with 5 years research experience, with sound scientific background in climate change, natural resources management or environmental sciences. He/she should demonstrate ability to master complex scientific issues.
- A broad understanding of various aspects of climate change or related environmental issues and leadership in research and technology development.
- Skills and field experience of project and program design, management, monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent presentation, communication and facilitation skills and fluent in English
- Research experience in Africa and interest in the East African region, with an understanding of climate change and agriculture, and the ability to engage with local and national level priorities to identify linkages and adaptation opportunities.
Interested and qualified individuals can send in their application and detailed cv together with contacts of three (3) referees to:
Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI)
P.O. Box 57811-00200
Put Position for Technical Expert in Climate Change in subject field if using email or envelope if using mail.
The right candidate will receive an attractive package that is negotiable.
The applications should reach the Director KARI on or before 10am on 12th September 2010.